An older project from 2016 needed a refresh.
A Beautifully decorated headband that I created by hand.
I didn’t measure the first rectangular piece of black felt before I cut, but it is approximately 8.5 x 3 inches. Any kind or colour of medium weight felt will do for this DIY project.
Folding the rectangular piece in half, I roughly sketched an oval shape on one side using chalk.
I used straight pins to hold the two pieces together while cutting and making the oval shape out of felt.
The oval shape isn’t perfect, but you can tweak the smoothness later on if there are jagged corners. Felt can be tricky to get perfect shapes out of.
Using my sewing machine (or you can do this by hand), I sewed two straight lines to create a channel down the middle of my felt pieces. Sewing this channel creates a secure bond between the two felt pieces; as well as a tight passage way for my metal headband to pass through.
I went the extra mile and also sewed the edges with a thin seam, taking extra care not to sew over the middle channel that I sewed earlier. The edges could be glued together, however using thread makes the felt stronger and less likely to fall apart. It is also more rigid now to support the decoration that it will display.
As always, I made sure that my metal headband pieces would snugly slide into the channels before decorating, or else it would be impossible to fix afterwards without ruining my design.
Using turquoise beads and a hot glue gun, I began making my design one row at at time.
I incorporated another colour to make an updated yin and yang design.
I used layering techniques with the white beads.
As well as adding texture by using big and small beads.
A very pretty and unique design for a DIY headband.
Two variations of my idea are seen here:
The pink and white design is my least favourite as the lines look messy instead of what I had intended.
The design with feathers looks the best of the three. I tend to produce better designs when I keep them simple. I used 2mm brown flat sided beads with fabric glue instead of hot glue from a glue gun.
The feathers are short, and I would like to design something similar with longer plumes in the future.
This is definitely a project I will return to again in the near future.