A few years ago I bought a vintage Sonia Rykiel dress that fit me perfectly, but was a little short.
The design of the dress is a knitted sweater fabric with a high collar and short sleeves.
I decided to copy the design and make a similar dress.
I took measurements of my body (bust, waist, hips and desired length) and used these as guidelines. I always do this to ensure that the pattern I will draft from the garment will not be too small.
I drafted the shape of the dress in the first piece of my patter without the sleeve or neck collar- I think it is important to draft these separately so that the recreated design is true to the original garment’s construction.
Since the original dress is a knit- I was careful to select a material that had some stretch. The Rayon floral print I chose had a bit of lycra woven into it, so it had the stretch I was hoping for.
The final product is as follows:
I like the way the project turned out- although I am not pleased with the zipper I installed in the back. I hate zippers.
They rarely work for me, and I frequently end up with bulky zipper seams that pop up and look terrible to me- but of course in order to become good at installing zippers, I have to install many more zippers.
Thanks for reading, and be sure to check back soon
While visiting my supplier, I saw this vibrant 100 percent cotton material. The patterns were to die for, so I decided to make 2 centimeter wide double folded bias tape; or trim as it is also called.
I made lots of bias tape. How much did I make, you ask? 4000 centimeters or 40 meters.
Each package has 4 meters- a generous amount because double fold bias tape is normally sold in 2.75 meter packages.
Speaking of which, those packages usually have boring and plain colours. If your are a forward thinking designer, trim patterns with eye catching designs and colours can really take a project to the next level; and for some, that little extra pizzazz can be the difference between a customer that browses, and a customer that buys.
One weekend I stumbled upon this room divider while at a church Garage Sale.
I was not “in love” with the style: a puke green wooden border with some kind of rosy-beige fabric. To cap it all off, the trim on the inner panel between the wood border and the fabric panel was this weird totally dated pearly-pinky hue that was just *bleah*
It needed an update.
Supplies I used:
One pair of needle nose pliers
a staple gun
material cut to size
Rustoleum Charcoal paint
Medium sized painting brush
Small sized painting brush
Step One: removing the undesired trim. This was pretty easy, as the trim was secured with what looked like hot glue in a thin to medium bead
around each panel. A firm tug easily allowed it all to come off cleanly.
Step two: (Not so) gently pulling apart the existing fabric from the wooden border. I started off from the top of each section of the divider by pulling out staples with my needle nose pliers. Once I got a good section opened up, I found that it was easier to just tug on the fabric and pull the remaining staples out that way. I was careful not to tug too hard so that the fabric ripped, but it was a pretty sturdy Jacquard so it held true for the most part.
Once I had my bare divider sections, I laid the entire thing on the floor to begin prepping for the big paint job. A light bit of sanding here and there, was needed, but the wooden border was not in bad shape: it was just the colour that I couldn’t stand!
Step four: Painting can be a troublesome task for some- and I used to dislike it the most when performing refreshes and updating things around my home. By learning a few tips and tricks over the years, I have been able to greatly improve my painting, and avoid my all too common disappointments at my finished products. One of the tricks I learned was to paint doors, and anything flat that involves panels in this order:
I used Rustoleum brand Charcoal paint. It’s available at Home Depot in the paint section, and is pretty affordable at around $30. That may seem like a high price, but due to the viscosity of the paint, the quart size goes quite a long way.
Step five: Using the old fabric as a guide for the new; I ironed the material to make sure it was perfectly pressed and flat. Once ironed, attached the new fabric on the divider with 8mm staples and my trusty staple gun.
**Note I still need to visit the fabric store to select the new trim. Updates coming soon!
And of course the candid photo of the newly created piece as it will be in its natural habitat..
I needed 9.5meters of low pile carpet trim, and I was able to find that in a 1/4 inch width quite easily at the fabric store for about $2.60 per meter.
The border makes the divider look “finished” and professional. I call this DIY a true success!