My latest piece was an unexpected development of blending and contrasting colours. Using acrylic pour techniques, hunter green and moss are suspended in each other to give the appearance of cream meeting coffee.
The left and bottom edges have paint splatter to amp up the drama and turbulence of the environment, while yellow specks of sunlight peek through the dense cloud space. The title of this work is simply G.C.
My favourite part of the work is seen above- the meeting of the light creamy green with dark green. The figure is ghostly, and resembles a human face that seems to possibly be aghast. At its heart is a void of cerulean blue- as if an explosion removed what was there before.
I love the abstract art because it allows the viewer to decide the story of what they see. I am continuously impressed by the imaginative responses I get from people about what they see in my artwork. It is truly amazing to reflect on the power of those imaginations, and also how the experiences or mindsets of people influence what they see.
Thank you for checking in. Comment below and let me know what you see.
I have always found delight in the study of design and art, especially with regard to home decor. When decorating a space, a good designer incorporates colour and texture to diversify elements of the space.
Wall colour, furniture style and accents are the basic parts of the decor of a room; but the addition of trim, mouldings, rugs, sculptures, and the use of tapestries can enrich the decor and overall enjoyment of the environment in a space.
I made a very unique find the other day while shopping at my fabric supplier and was able to create a beautiful tapestry to hang on my wall.
As you can see, it is a gorgeous, red jacquard material with medium sized dragons embroidered in a not too overwhelming pattern.
(I say not too overwhelming because I can imagine an entire sofa upholstered in this material and I think that there would definitely be too many dragons)
I purchased enough material to make 3 tapestries, each about 1.5 Meters long and 50 cm wide. I added a black and tan fringe to the bottom, to accent the inverted triangle at the bottom. I think that by finishing the piece in this way, gives it more texture and looks more pleasing to the eye.
I mounted one of the tapestries to the wall in my foyer, as I am in the process of redecorating the area. Meanwhile the other two will make great unique gifts for Christmas.
I did this piece recently as an experiment: a small 12 x 6 inch acrylic on canvas. I used the colours: red, yellow, green, and peach. Despite being abstract, it is clearly an urn of flowers.
I enjoyed the execution as it was a departure from my normal style of dark colours paired with sweeping hues of blue. It is not pop art, but would complement a traditional decorative style in any room. I sold this to an old friend who plans to hang it in her vacation home in Portugal. I hope it finds happiness there.
One weekend I stumbled upon this room divider while at a church Garage Sale.
I was not “in love” with the style: a puke green wooden border with some kind of rosy-beige fabric. To cap it all off, the trim on the inner panel between the wood border and the fabric panel was this weird totally dated pearly-pinky hue that was just *bleah*
It needed an update.
Supplies I used:
One pair of needle nose pliers
a staple gun
material cut to size
Rustoleum Charcoal paint
Medium sized painting brush
Small sized painting brush
Step One: removing the undesired trim. This was pretty easy, as the trim was secured with what looked like hot glue in a thin to medium bead
around each panel. A firm tug easily allowed it all to come off cleanly.
Step two: (Not so) gently pulling apart the existing fabric from the wooden border. I started off from the top of each section of the divider by pulling out staples with my needle nose pliers. Once I got a good section opened up, I found that it was easier to just tug on the fabric and pull the remaining staples out that way. I was careful not to tug too hard so that the fabric ripped, but it was a pretty sturdy Jacquard so it held true for the most part.
Once I had my bare divider sections, I laid the entire thing on the floor to begin prepping for the big paint job. A light bit of sanding here and there, was needed, but the wooden border was not in bad shape: it was just the colour that I couldn’t stand!
Step four: Painting can be a troublesome task for some- and I used to dislike it the most when performing refreshes and updating things around my home. By learning a few tips and tricks over the years, I have been able to greatly improve my painting, and avoid my all too common disappointments at my finished products. One of the tricks I learned was to paint doors, and anything flat that involves panels in this order:
I used Rustoleum brand Charcoal paint. It’s available at Home Depot in the paint section, and is pretty affordable at around $30. That may seem like a high price, but due to the viscosity of the paint, the quart size goes quite a long way.
Step five: Using the old fabric as a guide for the new; I ironed the material to make sure it was perfectly pressed and flat. Once ironed, attached the new fabric on the divider with 8mm staples and my trusty staple gun.
**Note I still need to visit the fabric store to select the new trim. Updates coming soon!
And of course the candid photo of the newly created piece as it will be in its natural habitat..
I needed 9.5meters of low pile carpet trim, and I was able to find that in a 1/4 inch width quite easily at the fabric store for about $2.60 per meter.
The border makes the divider look “finished” and professional. I call this DIY a true success!