Prepackaged hot oil treatments can be purchased from beauty supply stores or you can make your own as a home remedy for dry hair. Use any hot oil treatment on freshly washed hair. To use a treatment that has been purchased from a store, simply heat the product according to the directions on the package.
- Be careful not to allow the product to get too hot. The hot oil may burn your scalp. Let the product sit and cool off if it gets too hot.
- Apply the oil to the hair. Put a plastic cap on the hair and get under the dryer for a few minutes to help it retain heat as it penetrates the hair.
- Next, gently rinse the hot oil treatment out of the hair and style it as usual. Remember, for the best results, do not shampoo the hot oil treatment out of the hair. You are simply rinsing it so that the benefits of the oil will remain in your hair. If your hair is too oily after rinsing the treatment out of your hair, wash your hair with a mild natural shampoo.
Making a Homemade Hot Oil Treatment
Instead of a commercial product, it is possible to make your own hot oil.
- Choose an oil or a combination of oils of your choice. Try using a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and almond oil. You can use all of the oils or pick one or two to use for your hot oil treatment. All of the oils above will moisturize your hair and hydrate the scalp. Coconut oil hardens when it is cool.
- Keep your hair warm or at least at room temperature while coconut oil is in your hair. Make about a cup of your own hot oil mix. You need enough of the oil to cover your hair, from root to tip, so it may be necessary to use less than a cup or make a little more depending on the length and thickness of your hair.
- Heat the oils in a small saucepan until the mixture is warm to the touch. The oil is going on your hair and scalp, so make sure that it is lukewarm. Although microwaving is faster, it is not recommended because the oil may get too hot. Microwaving may also negatively impact some of the nutrients in the oils. Again, if the oil is over heated, let it sit for a few minutes to cool.
Applying the Hot Oil Treatment
- Apply the oil to the hair. It is best to use a small squeeze bottle, the kind that is used to color hair.
- Massage the product throughout your hair, making sure that all of your hair is covered with the oil. The hair does not have to be overly greasy, just slightly oily. Do not rub the hair too harshly, as this can cause tangles and breakage.
- Once the hair is covered, put on a shower cap. If you have a bonnet-style hair dryer at home, you can sit under the dryer. If you don’t have that type of dryer, you can wrap a towel around your head to keep the heat in.
- Let the oil penetrate through your hair for about 15 minutes. For a relaxing hot oil treatment, take a warm bath while the oil penetrates in hair.
- Next, rinse the oil. Dry your hair and style it as normal.